I am so excited to share this FUN and MOTIVATIONAL classroom incentive board…PUNCH IT! This board is super easy to make, only requiring a few tools. How it works is students earn letters (one letter at a time) on the whiteboard every time the class is working well as a whole. For example, if the class is working cooperative in groups, you would compliment them and write the letter “P” on the board. The next time you catch the class doing something great you would write the letter “U” on the board. Once the class has earned all of the letters, plus the exclamation mark (PUNCH IT!), they get to punch out one of the cups.
Inside the cups are strips of paper with a class prize on it. I have included 35 free class idea strips for you, as well as a blank template for you to quickly write in your own ideas. These are prizes like “Movie and lunch with the teacher,” “Teacher surprise,” etc.. Many of the prizes are open for interpretation, too. 😉 Students LOVE getting to punch the cups and it’s fun to see them working together as a class to earn a “punch.”
Here’s a quick peek at the PUNCH IT! prize strips I have included:
Here’s what you need to make your own PUNCH IT! board:
1. One large 30×40 foam board (found at Staples for less than $10)
2. 35 plastic cups (I used the pastel bulk pack from Costco)
2. A pack of rubber bands
3. Different colored tissue paper
4. A hot glue gun/glue
5. PUNCH IT! prize strips
Here’s how you make the PUNCH IT! board:
1. Lay the foam board on a hard, flat surface and evenly spread out the 35 cups. Make sure you leave enough room for your title, “PUNCH IT!”
2. Use the hot glue gun to glue down each cup in place and let the glue dry overnight.
3. Place your prize strips inside of each cup.
4. Cut the tissue paper into square sized pieces that will fit over the opening of each cup. Put one piece of tissue on each cup and secure it with a rubber band.
5. Add PUNCH IT! letters to the top of the board. That’s it! Easy peasy!
Your board is ready to go and can easily last the entire school year! The great thing about this board is that all you have to do to set it up again is print the prize strips and cover the cups with tissue!
I have also seen a punch board used for test review. Check it out here. This teacher puts review questions in each cup and makes a game out of it. You could also use this board for sight words, punching out one extra special sight word for the week, or even use it daily as an “exit ticket” class review question. So many possibilities….
I hope you’ve been INSPIRED!