So meet Flip Sticks!
Here's how you use them:
1. Have all of the sticks facing watermelon seed side up (or however you decorate them).
2. Pull out a student's stick and call on them.
3. FLIP the stick and place it back in the cup (green side up).
4. Now, you can see which student has already been called on.
5. Anytime you use the sticks to call on students you can quickly see which students have already had a turn (green side up).
6. Once all students have had a turn (all green sides is facing up), you can grab the entire set of sticks and flip them back over to watermelon seeds up to start again.
You can use any two designs or colors that you choose. I like using the watermelons because I easily remember that watermelons start from a seed, so the seed side up of the stick is the beginning (meaning students haven't had a turn yet).
So let's get started! First you line up a set of jumbo craft sticks, and mark the halfway point on the top stick. Use your pink marker to draw a line down the center and color one half pink.
Use a black Sharpie to draw a curve in the middle where the two colors meet. Then, add watermelon seeds on the pink side.
Finally, print two student names per label and cut the labels down to fit on the sticks. I use Avery 5160 labels, which cut in half, fit perfectly!
If you follow along on my Facebook page, you've probably seen the quick tutorial for making these. But just in case you've missed it, CLICK HERE!
I hope you've been INSPIRED!