I LOVE teaching place value to second graders in October! It gives me an excuse to pull out some mini bags of Candy Corn and make math even more engaging! We spend a lot of time reviewing numbers to 100 and to 1,000 in standard form, expanded form, numbers in sequence and word form. So I made a fun Candy Corn Solve & Cover activity to help my second graders review many different place value skills!
Originally, I used this activity with my guided math groups, but it can easily be done whole class if you have a way to display the place value cards (hello, LCD projector!).
Here’s how to use this activity:
1. Each student in the group gets a Candy Corn Solve & Cover mat and 9 Candy Corns.
2. The teacher shows the group one of the “solve cards.”
3. Students check their candy corn mat to see if they have the answer to the solve card. If they do, they use a candy corn to cover the answer. If they don’t, they wait for the next solve card to be displayed.
4. Once a student in the group has covered all of the answers, he/she says, “candy corn.” The teacher checks the answers against the solve cards used to see if they correctly solved and covered their mat.
5. If a student has won, we clear the mats and play again! And again! And again!
Once students have played this game with me in guided math groups, I keep a couple extra sets ready to go in large Ziplock baggies for them to play in partners as an early finisher activity.
I have made two versions of this activity! Place Value to 100 and Place Value to 1,000!
Want more place value fun? Click below to see more PLACE VALUE CENTERS that teachers and students LOVE!